Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Size Twelve Is Not Fat


This weekend, between shopping and going to see New Moon. ( I loved it). But I finished reading, Size 12 Is Not Fat by Meg Cabot. Meg Cabot is the woman who wrote the Princess Diaries Series. What made me pick this up was because I adored the Princess Diaries books and movie [Anne Hathaway was brilliant] when I was in elementary school and I was feeling a bit nostalgic on that particular day.  

Within the first thirty pages I remembered why I loved those Princess Diaries books so much. Meg Cabot is incredibly funny! Humor is harder to convey through ink and paper but somehow this woman manages to make me smile or CQTM [chuckle quietly to myself]. But this book is aimed towards a more mature audience. Yes, I'm at that point in my life where I can read mature material.

Here's a brief synopsis, without being a spoiler. Its about Heather Mills, a burned out teen pop sensation, who is trying to pull her life together after her musical career has become almost non-existent and she has gained a bit of weight--she's now a size twelve. Heather decides to take a job as an assistant dorm director at a local college in NYC and this is where the drama starts.

A string of murders start to occur at the dorms and Heather finds herself becoming an amateur sleuth. [drama, right?] But while she's trying to find out why all these people are dying--and probably most importantly, who's killing them--she has to deal with her romantic feelings towards her house-mate and her obnoxious, but kid of cute, old boyfriend.

I think of Heather Mills as a modern day Nancy Drew--but funnier and more relatable. This book has humor, mystery, suspense, romance, and even more humor. The ending--and the killer--caught me off guard. I didn't even think about him. But then again, I've never really been good at mysteries no matter how many episodes of CSI: Crime Scene Investigation I watch or how how many games of CLUE I try to win.

The pages fly by really quickly and its leaves the reader wanting more. Thankfully two sequels have already been published. Size 14 is Not Fat Either and Big Boned. I'm heading out to Borders as soon as I finish writing this to pick a copy of both.

____ If you've read this book, please leave your thoughts in the comments! Also leave any suggestions below! Please follow this blog through Google Friend Finder! Link to the right. Thank you for reading and I'll see you guys soon.